Trade promotion lotteries
What is a trade promotion lottery?
- This is a free entry lottery conducted to promote goods and services supplied by a business where chance determines the award of a prize or prizes. A trade promotion lottery is also sometimes called a sweepstake, competition, contest or giveaway.
- An application fee applies for a permit to conduct a trade promotion lottery in NSW.
- The lottery rules, also known as terms and conditions, must be readily available to entrants for free.
Why is a permit required?
To make sure all entrants are treated equally and no person gets an unfair advantage, the promoters of a trade promotion lottery have a number of legal responsibilities. In NSW, trade promotion lotteries are regulated by the Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing to ensure that they are conducted with a high level of integrity and fairness.
Permits for trade promotion lotteries can take up to 20 working days for approval.
Who can conduct a trade promotion lottery?
Only a business with an ABN number can hold a permit for a trade promotion lottery in NSW. A business may be a sole proprietor, a partnership or a company.
Detailed information about trade promotion lotteries
- For businesses
Please read our trade promotion lotteries fact sheet for promoters. It provides vital information about conducting these lotteries including the terms and conditions, the rules and scrutiny of the prize draw, prizes, keeping records, ticketing and advertising. Some trade promotion lotteries such those involving 190 premium telephone facilities SMS/MMS, pre determined instant win or scratch prizes or gaming machines must meet special requirements. Please read our trade promotions special processing fact sheet.
- For consumers and TPL entrants
Please read our consumers and trade promotion lotteries fact sheet. The fact sheet explains how a trade promotion must be legally conducted including what must be in the terms and conditions, how a draw must be conducted and special conditions that apply for some trade promotion lotteries.
How to apply for a trade promotion lottery
- Apply online through www.licence.nsw.gov.au. By applying online you receive a faster, cheaper service. Credit card payments will only be accepted online.
- You can also apply for trade promotion lottery by mailing us a completed trade promotion lottery application form.
Fees for trade promotion lottery permits
Current application fees are available on our Trade Promotion Lottery Fees webpage. Fees for trade promotion lottery(TPL) permits vary depending on the value of the prize(s) in the promotion.
An amendment fee of $100 will be charged for applications to amend terms and conditions for TPL permits after they have been approved by the Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing (OLGR).
Credit Card surcharge
For application fees (including amendments), under NSW Government policy, a surcharge of 0.4% is added to the payment amount if paid by credit card. Please visit www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/surcharge.asp for more information.
Before lodging your application
- Make sure you read the trade promotion lottery factsheet, especially all the legal requirements in relation to terms and conditions, details of prizes, conducting the draw and dealing with unclaimed prizes.
- Ensure you have fully reviewed and checked the details of the terms and conditions for the lottery, including the prizes, how the draw will be conducted and the dates of the competition before you lodge your application. Incomplete TPL applications will not be processed by our Office until they are finalised by the applicant.
Contact details for trade promotion lottery enquiries
- Applicants and TPL permit holders can email queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (02) 9842 8188.
- Consumers can lodge complaints by email about trade promotion lotteries by email to email@example.com or by phoning (02) 9995 0837.