Smoke-free outdoor dining
How much could a night out cost you?
right to information
Print this page A | A | A
Home > Liquor > Community


The NSW liquor laws allow communities to have input into licensing decisions and initiate action against licensed venues that have an adverse impact on local neighbourhoods.

Community input into licensing decisions

In certain cases an applicant for a new liquor licence, extended trading hours or variation of a liquor licence must lodge a Community Impact Statement (CIS). As part of the CIS process the applicant is required to notify the local council, police and the local community of their intention to lodge their application with the Independent, Liquor and Gaming Authority. This notification is part of a consultation process with the local community.

For most applications, notification to occupiers of nearby premises (as well as to the local council and police) will be provided by the applicant once a liquor licence application is lodged. This notification must be provided whether or not a CIS is also required.

Members of the community can visit our licence application noticeboard on this website to check for current liquor licence applications. You can also use the noticeboard to lodge an online submission with the Authority on an application that affects your neighbourhood.

Looking for details about a specific liquor licence?

The NSW Government Licensing system is online database which includes information NSW liquor licences. Members of the public can look up liquor licence records including information about the conditions which apply to a particular liquor licence. There are also statutory conditions which apply to all types of liquor licences. Information about statutory conditions applying to each type of NSW liquor licence is available here from the OLGR website.

Disturbance complaints

Residents, police and local councils can make a complaint to the Director of Liquor and Gaming about undue disturbance to the quiet and good order of the neighbourhood associated with a licensed venue and/or patrons.

For more detailed information please visit our Disturbance complaints page.

Further information

Disturbance Complaints Fact Sheet
Disturbance complaint form
Find your local council Links to external site
Find your local police station Links to external site

Did you find what you were looking for?

Was this page helpful to you? We would like to hear your feedback.