right to information
Print this page A | A | A
Home > Courses > RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol

RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol

The following RSA page provides you with information on:

> Why is RSA training necessary?
> Who needs to complete the RSA course?
> Who offers the RSA course?

Why is RSA training necessary?

The NSW liquor laws mandate responsible service of alcohol training for the liquor industry.

These requirements reflect the importance of ensuring licensees and staff understand their obligations in serving liquor responsibly and the types of strategies that can be implemented to add value to a venue’s operations.

Who needs to complete the RSA course?

RSA training applies to:

Which training providers offer the RSA course?

RSA training must be undertaken by an approved training provider.

Students can undertake training courses either:

A trial of online RSA training was started in 2012, however the NSW Government has suspended the trial. Read more.

Students are issued with an Interim Certificate following completion of the course.

Outside the Kings Cross Precinct, the interim certificate is valid for work for 90 days while the student obtains their Photo Competency Card. Within the Kings Cross Precinct, a Photo Competency Card is required before work can commence.

This photo card must be retained when working on any licensed premises.

Contact details of approved course providers for RSA classroom training is available.

Should you have a complaint or enquiry regarding an RSA course please email the OLGR Competency Card Team on this address: competencycard@olgr.nsw.gov.au

Join our eNews service and stay up to date

To keep up to date with changes, new resources and information on liquor laws and RSA, join our free liquor eNews service and receive news directly to your email in-box.